Sunday, March 12, 2006

I think what we have is a
Failure to Communicate

When I realized there was a new initiative from Alderman Moore on the 49th Ward website, I quickly glanced through all the material looking for the one thing I believe we can all agree on, well, most of us anyway. I was looking for the sentence about Timely Notification. The Beginning; because that's where open process starts. You cannot have one without the other.

But I didn't find the beginning because it wasn't there. It still isn't and I wonder how many neighbors will miss the meeting tonight because of that omission.


It was conspiciously absent and honestly I was left with a sense that, no matter how much time and energy was spent, and difficulty the Alderman might have had wrestling with this decision, there remains a fundamental failure to communicate with his constituents.

I do appreciate the time and effort involved in drawing up this initiative. Honestly, I personally need more time to absorb the implications and understand how it is actually designed to work on the ground.

But Timely Notification and Agenda Transparency is at the very core of any open process, no matter what business is being discussed. It seems a no brainer to me and I cannot understand why this is still unclear to the Alderman. Timely Notification is where open process begins and without it, this new initiative seems hollow.

I mean, what is the point of having a brand spanking new meeting process if no one shows up?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home