Monday, February 13, 2006

DevCorp North
The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight

So now we are starting to understand why our Field of Dreams never did come true. It all boils down to a fatal decision that cost North of Howard and Rogers Park big time.

Parking,Parking and Not Enough Parking.

It was right there in the plan, as clear as day, right there on the very last page. Maybe that page got lost and no one remembered to bring it up at a meeting. I guess that's possible. I forget things every once in a while too. I usually forget where my keys are, so I suppose it's understandable to forget about a 200 car, underground parking garage that would determine whether Gateway was to be a transit hub or a tragic dud.

I mean, this is the same group that spent $15,000.00 dollars on a behemoth pressure washer that's probably better suited for King Kong to use as a water pic. I predict cobwebs for that special purchase.

This is the same group that thought it fiscally prudent to pay our off duty finest $25,000.00 to play word jumbles.

This is the same group that wants us to trust a concept and probe the L.P.O. and........
Excuse me, my phone is ringing.

'Hello. Uh huh.Uh huh. Uh huh. Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks. Bye"
That was an Expert reminding me that DevCorp doesn't do residential. Well I guess that's a good thing because they had a fully developed plan for Gateway and they screwed that up, I can't imagine the mess they would make out of a concept.

Don't blame me for being confused. DevCorp ran another add on the website chanting the condo beat.

CondoCondoCondos! CondoCondoCondos!
I'm beginning to really dislike that word.

I've come to realize that DevCorp only does soft residential, not any of that tricky NOH stuff. Nah, that's no fun. That sort of residential just cuts into their day too much. Too much reading. Who wants to read boring H.U.D. Rule to Deconcentrate Poverty and Promote Integration in Public Housing and catch up on the latest trends in social policy. Nah, they would rather go shopping for new digs.

DevCorp Doesn't Deserve New Digs.

If Gateway Mall is what they're hanging they're hat on after 15 years at the helm, then DevCorp doesn't deserve a brand new building. Their office should be right there at Gateway Mall in one of the many, still empty storefronts. Preferrably on the transit side and open early for the morning rush.

After finally negotiating the walk along a snowed over, unshoveled Howard Street and pre cafeine, grumpy constituents should walk in and tell them exactly what's on their mind. And the employees of DevCorp should sit silently on their hands, not uttering a sound.

Gary Fuschi

2 Comments:

Blogger Don Mac Gregor said...

I note that DevCorp offers individual memberships
http://www.devcorpnorth.org/join.html

Suppose a bunch of us got individual memberships, and formed a reform caucus to push for greater accountability, fiscal responsibility, etc.
Has this idea ever been pursued?

10:27 AM  
Blogger Blogger said...

I like the way you think Fargo Don.

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home