Friday, March 10, 2006

Ideological Dyslexia

Public Service, Civic Pride &
Representational Government

I am old enough to remember being taught in school, in between frightening dive under the desk and hall hugging air raid drills, about such noble concepts. During the late 50's and early sixties, my teachers had no difficulty highlighting the difference between our representational form of government and that of our ideological counterparts. Even at our early age, my classmates and I understood which form of government was superior, as we covered our heads as best we could with our little hands under the wooden desks. waiting for the big bomb to hit.

I am not, however too old to forget what these Public Service, Civic Pride and Representational Government concepts actually mean and how these principles are supposed to work in our political process. I will never forget those early impressionable memories that I learned along with all my other classmates in our elementary school and I do not intend to start forgetting those principles any time soon. They are the basis of my core beliefs and pride that, despite the many problems we have, imho, this country is still the best place to live in the world today. It is my responsibility as a citizen to make it better.

I don't know how old the Alderman is and maybe he wasn't taught the same lessons in school that I was, but in my view, he has forgotten or he is ignoring these three fundamental principles.

He is not acting as our Public Servant, he is not promoting Civic Pride in our neighborhood and he is not practicing participatory Representational Government here in our little neck o' the woods.

Ideological Dyslexia

So, I'm not quite sure what the Alderman is up to these days, what his ideology is or what his particular brand of Progressive theory is anymore.

If he's not, at minimum, promoting the basic fundamental BIG 3, what is he promoting?

If those principles aren't priorities, what principles are? Honestly, I don't care if he strays left or right of the BIG 3 philosophicaly, that is his right as a politician but this expediant limbo status we seem to be in, is giving me a headache.

I guess I’m also having trouble understanding what Progressive politics and ideology actually means, in real life NOH, oh...these last 15 years or so. I think I understand the politics. I just can't seem to reconcile the ideology with what is happening on the ground, in my neighborhood and to my neighbors. At this point, I don't care what STATE the Alderman happens to align himself with these days. I just think the state of my North of Howard neighborhood needs serious and dedicated attention. QuickQuick.

We can all talk a good progressive game but that’s too easy and almost anyone can do that. The hard part is applying that belief and enabling others to understand it by your actions and its results.

People might still disagree, but at least there would be truth in the effort.

Core philosophical beliefs should be foundation solid and unwavering, no matter what they are and who might disagree.

They should not be convenient, hip pocket cliff notes, glanced at hurriedly, at target audience time.

The Alderman cannot even talk the good game any more. His recent rebuttal to this neighbors' question regarding NOH housing affordability at the Pivot Point redo meeting drew a most curious response for a visionary Progressive. How can we consider 13 more years of a slumlord stranglehold on the Northpoint buildings as a genuine, progressive vision? That AIMCO contract renewal was his best effort at the time and it was already 3 years in arrears, philosophically, considering the HUD 2000 rewrite.

Late charges are costly and hopelessness compounds daily, making the eventual human cost even more expensive and tragic. I wish the Alderman had as much interest in my North of Howard neighborhood as he does with other seemingly trivial issues.

QuackQuack. Can anyone spell P R I O R I T I E S ?

Say what you will about Reagonomics and the trickle down theory:

At least Mr. Reagan had a theory.

What is Progressively trickling down to my North of Howard neighbors but 15 years of benign neglect? Add 13 more years to that and we're talking about almost 3 generations of human stagnation.

How many children have to continue to walk down shuttered and deserted Howard Street and wonder if this is as good as it's gonna' get?

And now we have to applaud loudly because our neighborhood owns a brand new Crime Camera.
Can anyone spell C a u s e and E f f e c t ?

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I am not proud to own that Crime Camera in my neighborhood because I think the Alderman could have and should have done better by my neighbors. And honestly, we all would have benefitted, every one of us.

If the Alderman had REALLY seriously considered some of the new thinking that was becoming Federal Law in 2000 and adopted a five year strategy for the 12 Northpoint buildings based on this new philosophy, maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't have needed that camera. Because maybe, that committment would have started to change other things that need to change NOH. Those 12 buildings contain 304 apartments. We have to start somewhere.

I really believe it would have been worth taking that calculated, visionary risk instead of knee jerking the same ole', same ole', tried and failed approach to affordable housing for people who truly need affordable homes and some hope and stability in their lives. Other leaders in our country and right here in our city are taking those risks. And their efforts are being supported and paid for by H.U.D. In a comparative risk / reward ratio, it seems the rewards far outwiegh the risks these days.

Taking calculated risks are the job of a visionary. It says so on their business cards.

Have the vision, explain your vision to us and ask us all to take the risk along with you. I think the Alderman might have gotten a fair hearing using that visionary approach. Now that would be a meeting that could be genuinely described as "Community Involvement".

How many people were involved in the contract renewal for AIMCO? Adding insult to an already injured people, were my neighbors even consulted regarding their own future. I understand the need to provide basic shelter. But considering what is known now and being succesfully put in to practice on the ground, basic shelter is about as basic as you can get ideologically. Offering people hope and a stake in their future by giving them a real stake in their own neighborhood is the current progressive vision. I think we need to get up to speed here, NOH.

It's Worth the 2 Dimes

I think the Alderman should make a phone call to his freinds at AIMCO. I think he should say that he had an epiphany and he wants to explore the possibility of redressing this wrong. I think AIMCO and the Alderman should explore the real possibility of adopting a five year plan to untangle the 13 year contract renewal mistake that was made 3 years ago.

I think AIMCO might be amenable to such an idea. Sure, they make a pretty penny being irresponsible slumlords NOH, but for them, Northpoint profit is probably just a drop in the bucket. After all , they are the largest landlord in the country. It says so on their business card. How management committed can a company be to Northpoint, when their corporate vision is to take over the world? Our, on the ground experience indicates that they are not management committed, not by a long shot.

Right this minute, the main security gate to the Northpoint courtyard building across the street from my place, is again, propped open. It's been like that for a few days now. There is no security for this building and there is no committment to provide it. And this little detail is only a drop in the bucket, compared to what goes on in that building. Just ask the police.

We need to start somewhere and Northpoint buildings would be a perfect place to start, imho. Mr. Corcoran expressed a realistic optimism about applying his 25 year, tried and succeeded, on the ground, approach for NOH, the last time he was contacted by a NOH neighbor. Perhaps we should interest him in the Broadmoor too, considering how lax management has ruined that renovation.

I think it would be worth the 2 dimes to find out.


Gary Fuschi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home